Ethiopia UNESCO commitment has registered 9 sites on the World Heritage list and 6 sites on the tentative list.
Some places are so interesting that it’s relevant to keep them for future generations. This is why UNESCO has built a list of crucial classified properties in which there are superb places that stand out for their aesthetic, natural, artistic or cultural significance.
More than a thousand places are registered as Unesco’s World Heritage around the world. Due to my personal interest in visiting World Heritage sites, I put together the UNESCO list in Ethiopia and the corresponding map.
Ethiopia UNESCO list
- Fasil Ghebbi, Gondar Region
- Harar Jugol, the Fortified Historic Town
- Konso Cultural Landscape
- Lower Valley of the Awash
- Lower Valley of the Omo
- Rock-Hewn Churches in Lalibela
- Simien National Park
UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Ethiopia are protected places for their cultural and natural importance.
Ethiopia UNESCO Map
Click on the blue pins to view more relevant information about each World Heritage site in Ethiopia.
Sites on the Tentative List
- Bale Mountains National Park
- Dirre Sheik Hussein Religious, Cultural and Historical Site
- Holqa Sof Omar
- Sacred Landscapes of Tigray
- Melka Kunture and Balchit
- Gedeo Cultural Landscape