South Africa UNESCO commitment has registered 10 sites on the World Heritage list and 5 sites on the tentative list.
Some places are so interesting that it’s relevant to keep them for future generations. This is why UNESCO has built a list of crucial classified properties in which there are superb places that stand out for their aesthetic, natural, artistic or cultural significance.
More than a thousand places are registered as Unesco’s World Heritage around the world. Due to my personal interest in visiting World Heritage sites, I put together the UNESCO list in South Africa and the corresponding map.
South Africa UNESCO list
- Fossil Hominid Sites of South Africa
- Mapungubwe Cultural Landscape
- Richtersveld Cultural and Botanical Landscape
- Robben Island
- Khomani Cultural Landscape
- Barberton Makhonjwa Mountains
- Cape Floral Region Protected Areas
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park
- Vredefort Dome
- Maloti-Drakensberg Park
UNESCO World Heritage Sites in South Africa are protected places for their cultural and natural importance.
South Africa UNESCO Map
Click on the blue pins to view more relevant information about each World Heritage site in South Africa.
Sites on the Tentative List
- Succulent Karoo Protected Areas
- Liberation Heritage Route
- Early Farmsteads of the Cape Winelands
- The Pleistocene occupation sites of South Africa
- Nelson Mandela Legacy Sites